Protocol for Relaxation
The Protocol for Relaxation was written by Dr. Karen L Overall and is a great place to start prior to working on behavior modification. It teaches a dog to settle and deffer to you no matter what happens. It uses rewards and praise to create good associations with different stimuli.
Here are some great books on specific training/behavior subjects as well as books on general dog behavior.
- Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog
- Way to Go! How to Housetrain a Dog of Any Age
- Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash-Reactive Dog
- Love Has No Age Limit-Welcoming an Adopted Dog into Your Home
- The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
- Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
- I’ll be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety
- The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs